At St Thomas’ CE VA Primary School we appreciate the power and wonder of math. Maths can help us to make sense of the world around us.
Our aim for all of our children to gain:
- A positive mindset and enthusiastic attitude towards mathematics.
- An understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry, problem solving and reasoning.
- A range of learning styles – working collaboratively, compassionately and developing the perseverance to work independently.
- Confidence in mathematics where children can express ideas fluently.
- An understanding and confident use of mathematical language.
- An understanding of the importance of mathematics in everyday life.
What our children say about Mathematics:
“I like the number side of it more. I like working out questions, especially where it is two step problems.” – Year 5
“I like tricky questions to get my brain working.” – Year 3
“I like fraction work like subtracting, adding, multiplying and dividing with fractions because it’s the next step from just multiplying normal numbers.” – Year 6
“I like working on my own and I’m confident when working on my own but sometimes it’s easier with a partner as you can share your ideas.” – Year 6
“I like times tables and challenging myself.” – Year 4
“I like multiplication and factor pairs as they fit into each other and I like hard questions that have 2 steps and 3 steps!” – Year 4
“I like to use my friends to help me and get their answers and opinions from them. I like to use number squares.” – Year 5
“I like maths because we can get different things to count with on the computer and because there’s adding, minus and equals. I like counting with cubes because they look like Numberblocks!” – Reception
“I like maths because it helps you to learn important things so that when you’re older you can use the things that you’ve learnt!”” – Year 1
“There’s lots of learning that goes on!” – Year 2
“I like playing with numbers and counting and making shape pictures” – Nursery
If you have any more questions about our curriculum, please use the ‘Contact Us’ button at the top of this page.